15 Replies Latest reply: May 4, 2016 7:41 AM by snap326 RSS

Auditing NetApp Data ONTAP with Nessus

Mehul Guru

Recently we released a compliance plugin for VMware vCenter/vSphere, and before that we did a .audit for Cisco NX-OS which targeted the networking layer, and today we are adding support for another critical piece of the virtual infrastucture by releasing a new plugin for NetApp Data Ontap which targets the storage layer.

Storage systems are a critical piece in today's virtualized enviroments. After all they are the ones holding all the "data" in a typical data center. But they rarely get the same kind of a scrutiny a general purpose OS or a router OS gets, even though they are equally (if not more) important. From a compliance perspective auditing these systems help us prove two things, first that the data is tucked away safely and securely. And second, companies that have strict data retention (for e.g. e-mail) or backup requirements can prove they are in compliance with various regulatory requirements with a simple switch of an option.

Scan Requirements:

- root/admin credentials for NetApp Data ONTAP filer.

- Audit policy for NetApp Data ONTAP Compliance Checks, documented here.

- Plugin ID #66934 (NetApp Data ONTAP Compliance Checks)

Setting up the scan

- Create a new policy

- Enter SSH credentials.

ssh.png

- Enable Plugin ID #66934

plugin.png

- Apply .audit policy

audit.png

- Save the policy and run the scan.

Sample Results :

NetApp-BP-Summary.png

NetApp-BP-PASS.png

NetApp-BP-FAIL.png

NetApp Data ONTAP syntax :

The syntax is indentical to our CheckPoint plugin.

Here's an example :

<custom_item>

type            : CONFIG_CHECK

description    : "1.2 Secure Storage Design, Enable Kerberos with NFS - 'nfs.kerberos.enable = on'"

info            : "NetApp recommends the use of security features in IP storage protocols to secure client access"

solution        : "Enable Kerberos with NFS"

reference    : "PCI|2.2.3"

see_also        : "http://media.netapp.com/documents/tr-3649.pdf"

regex        : "nfs.kerberos.enable[\\s\\t]+"

expect        : "nfs.kerberos.enable[\\s\\t]+on"

</custom_item>

That wraps up our today's discussion on NetApp Data ONTAP. If you have any questions please feel free to contact Tenable support or post a reply to this post.

-Mehul

• Re: Auditing NetApp Data ONTAP with Nessus
    Novice

Ran this from Security Center 4.4, but only got back one result (saying NFSv4 was disabled -- PASSED).  Would expect many more results from looking at the audit file source.

I had enabled *only* this one plugin though and provided valid SSH login credentials.  It isn't clear if I need to explicitly enable additional plugins (I would assume they'd be enabled via dependency checking).

Of note -- we ran the scan against on ONTAP simulator.

Novice

Do NetApps need to be running in Cluster-Mode in order to audit the configuration? Local security checks aren't being run because "uname -a" fails. We're running our NetApps in 7-mode.

Mehul Guru

AFAIK, the mode shouldn't matter as long as you have SSH enabled. Could you please run the scan from command line, and report back the output?

/opt/nessus/bin/nasl -t netapp_ip netapp_dataontap_compliance_check.nbin

Thanks.

-Mehul

Mehul Guru

Running a Nessus scan with root/admin credentials is ideal, but if that's not an option, here are minimum set of instructions that would allow Nessus to login over ssh and perform the audit.

1. Create a new role e.g. nessus_audit

role add nessus_audit -a login-ssh,cli-version,cli-options,cli-uptime

2. Assign the role to a group e.g. nessus_admins

group add nessus_admins -r nessus_audit

3. And, finally assign the group to a user

useradmin user add nessus -g nessus_admins

-Mehul

walcy Apprentice

When I am looking at my scan results for net app devices, what should I be looking for to determine what is a successful scan result when scanning net app devices ?

Which plugins should I see if it is a successful scan result ? and what should the plugin out put be for these plugins if they are successful ?

What plugins should I see if it is a failed scan result ? and what should the plugin out put be for these plugins if they are not successful ?

walcy Apprentice

When I am looking at my scan results for net app devices, what should I be looking for to determine what is a successful scan result when scanning net app devices ?

Which plugins should I see if it is a successful scan result ? and what should the plugin out put be for these plugins if they are successful ?

What plugins should I see if it is a failed scan result ? and what should the plugin out put be for these plugins if they are not successful ?