13 Replies Latest reply: Mar 21, 2011 8:35 AM by macphail RSS

Unable to download html reports

DigiAngel Apprentice

Hello,

I am trying to download reports in html.  It worked a while ago, and now it simple hangs at Generating Report browser (IE) or just spins that lil wheel thing (Firefox).  This did work at some point in time, but now it doesn't.  I can browse the reports just fine however.  Any clues on what this may be?  I've looked at nessus.dump nessusd.messages and www_server.log and there's nothing glaring I can see.  Help!

James

P.S. Version is 4.2

• Re: Unable to download html reports
    DigiAngel Apprentice

Ok more on this.  My nessus.v1 and nessus file results come in at a hefty 9 megs each.  I was told by support to filter out "tcp wrapper" under Vulnerability text.  That cleaned it up.  Will this be fixed in an up and coming version?  Thanks.

James

Novice

I am seeing the same issue.  I cannot download HTML reports using Firefox 3.6 on Vista. A co-worker reports that it does not work for Chrome or FF3.5.7 on windows. I do know that downloading HTML reports via IE7 still works.  I'm not sure when the issue started but it was probably no more than 2-3 weeks ago, when I was last able to download an HTML report.

SparkPlugg Novice

Hi,

I could not download HTML reports with Firefox either during my last scan. Nor did any attempts to filter out certain parts help in the ability for generate reports. With IE I can download it, but there I noticed the format of the HTML report is different, which resulted in my parsing scripts did not work, grrrrr.

4.2 on Fedora12, prof. feed, using nmap plugin. 25 hosts scanned, report size 500kb, or 1.5Mb with 'Complete format', whatever that is.

And on a side note, this Bug report/thread should not be labeled 'answered', right?

Novice

...having exact same issue.

----------------------------------

OS is @ ubuntu linux (hardy)

FF was @ 3.0, is now @ 3.6.3

chrome is @ 10.0.648.134

flashplugin-nonfree is @ 10.0.22.87ubuntu1

Nessus is @ 4.4.1

Plugin feed has been updated,  engine (and system) have been restarted, repeatedly, including forced check using:

/opt/nessus/sbin/nessus-service -D -t

All report download options function correctly with the exception of 'html export', which hangs ("Nessus is formatting the report, please wait...")

This occurs in both FF and chrome, as well as Safari from an OSX client.

Have verified on multiple policies and multiple scans.

Am open to suggestions.

...?

Renaud Master

How big is your report? Any XSLT-related message in /opt/nessus/var/nessus/logs/nessusd.dump ?

-rd

Novice

size of report is not an issue, have verified with single host scans.

not at system currently, will check dump file this evening and report back.

thanks for the interest...

peace.

Novice

thanks for your patience, rd.

here's what we have:

# grep XSLT /opt/nessus/var/nessus/logs/nessusd.dump

xsltApplyXSLTTemplate: A potential infinite template recursion was detected.
        <snip>

this occurs approximately 100 count, no doubt based on the number of attempts to get an html report to generate.  The full entry appears to be:

(nessusd_www_server.nbin:0x3480) xslt_apply_stylesheet(): Transformation failed
        runtime error: file /opt/nessus//var/nessus/www/html.xsl line 459 element if
        You can adjust xsltMaxDepth (--maxdepth) in order to raise the maximum number of nested template calls and variables/params (currently set to 3000).

There are two line numbers listed as best as I can tell; 342 and 459.

we also have this:

compilation error: file /opt/nessus//var/nessus/www/html.xsl line 2
        element stylesheet
        xsl:version: only 1.0 features are supported

but only once, i do not believe it repeats.

thoughts?

~macphail

Renaud Master

Is that a custom template or are you using the plain 'HTML' one?

The error you're seeing basically is nessusd telling you that the template is turning to be too deep (and memory consuming) so it's aborting the conversion. However, this should not happen with default templates.

Mind sharing the faulty report with me (email it to me directly) so I can reproduce the issue?

Thanks,

-rd

Novice

i am not aware of any customization going on with the report, I'll verify this and get back.  something may have happened without me knowing about it...

thanks again.

~m

Novice

ok...

this is an odd thing to say, but here it is:

i checked the validity of /opt/nessus//var/nessus/www/html.xsl and saw no obvious signs of modification (via doing a diff with the file from a month ago).  I made a comment entry within the file, basically giving time/date stamp and a couple of other items of information and saved the file (as well as a backup).

i then attempted to recreate the discussed issue but was unsuccessful.  The html report download now seems to be functioning correctly.

i dont understand why this has occured, but i'll take it.  I seriously appreciate your assistance, rd.  I wish that i could offer a better solution to others browsing this thread, but that is all i've got.

i'll repost if the issue crops back up.

thanks again...

~m