12 Replies Latest reply: May 22, 2017 12:21 PM by CodyDumont RSS

SC 5.4.3 Scan Results stuck Importing

jamoses1 Novice

I have a scan result that is stuck with a status of "Importing". 

There is no option to delete it. The delete option is not presented next to the gear icon; just view.

There is plenty of resources and free drive space on both Nessus scanners and SC.

The scan that was being performed was a very simple Wake-on-LAN scan that is configured to ONLY wake the targets up.

The number of hosts targeted for the WoLAN is only 25 hosts.

The "View Scan Results" says that the start time was May17 19:18 and the finish time was May17 19:30; Duration 12 minutes. and the ID is 12.

The "View Scan Results" also reports 25 scanned/ 25 total and that scanner SCAN1 reports 25 live / 0 dead.

Any idea how to clear the stuck scan?

-JamesMoses

• Re: SC 5.4.3 Scan Results stuck Importing
    cezar Apprentice

Are you sure you are not out of licenses? To verify: login to Security Center as admin, choose: System->Configuration, then choose Licenses

You should also look at System->System Logs and verify, if there are any error messages regarding you scan.

jamoses1 Novice

The scan results are still stuck "Importing"

1. System->Configuration License shows a valid license. IP limit 34 active of 10000. License expires Feb 2018. (No problem here)

2. There is a possible error near the subject scan.  It never shows before the specific scan, but continues on well after the scan.

I have System->System Logs show the following regarding the Wake-on-LAN scan #19320 occuring between 19:17 and 19:30:

19:17 Scan job #19320 Starting...

19:17 Scan job #19320 (Wakeup RDTENetwork - #6) has acquired Scan "Wakeup RDTENetwork"

19:28 DATABASE ERROR: SQLSTATE[HY000]: General Error: 5 database is locked

19:28 jobd has failed to get the job list. It will continue to try for 60 minutes before shutting down.

19:30 jobd has  been able to get the job list after 2 minutes.

19:30 Plugin Update job #19334 has started.

19:30 Scan job #19320 (Wakeup RDTENetwork - #6) (Wakeup RDTENetwork) has ended.

19:31 DATABASE ERROR: SQLSTATE[HY000]: General Error: 5 database is locked

19:32 DATABASE ERROR: SQLSTATE[HY000]: General Error: 5 database is locked

19:32 jobd has failed to get the job list. It will continue to try for 60 minutes before shutting down.

19:34 DATABASE ERROR: SQLSTATE[HY000]: General Error: 5 database is locked

19:34 jobd has  been able to get the job list after 2 minutes.

19:36 DATABASE ERROR: SQLSTATE[HY000]: General Error: 5 database is locked

Suggestions to remove the stuck scan???

All help appreciated!

-James Moses

cezar Apprentice

OK, try to restart Security Center process or the full machine, it should unlock the database.

jamoses1 Novice

>OK, try to restart Security Center process or the full machine, it should unlock the database.

Restarted the entire RHEL server (and SC).  Following reboot, the logs confirm prior to reboot "SIGTERM sent to jobd"" and after reboot "Jobd starting...".  Logs are quiet and there are no entries other than successful login entries.  (No errors)

..and to be clear, there have been no database locks over the past two days.  Database locks only occurred for a brief period which coincides with the stuck scan result.

Is there no way to clear the stuck "Importing" scan result?

-James Moses

CodyDumont Master

Database lock issues are often caused by a job queue that is to long, and all restarting does, is make the processes restart.  While restarting will make it easier to troubleshoot, there are things you need to know to look at the data correctly.  If you are having this many database locks you need to call Technical Support and work with them over the webex to fix the issue. 

jamoses1 Novice

Upon further examination using sqlite3 and examining the file system under /opt/sc/ I found that:

1. In the folder /opt/sc/ there are several databases.  Using sqlite3 .tables, .schema and .dump commands, I  examined the contents of the jobqueue.db.  That database has nothing but current active jobs in the 21000 range.  No mention of past job #19320 which is the job ID which resulted in a stuck "Importing" scan report.

I also examined the application.db tables, schema, and data with the sqlite3 command.  Likewise, there seem to be no table or data values supporting past job #19320.  Good indications that after a scan completes, it's no longer in the sc database.

2. Navigating to /opt/sc/data/scans/ I noticed there are a bunch of folder names with past job numbers that correspond to completed scan jobs.  This INCLUDES folder name /19320/ ..which is the ID of the stuck scan report.  I also noticed that within each numeric folder there is also a database file called progress.db file in each of the folders.  Again, sqlite3 reveals tweakable data fields that can change or fix this report's metadata.

Anyone know if I can safely delete /opt/sc/data/scans/19320/ ..or is there are database somewhere that will loose a reference to the 19320 folder name? I can also tweak a value in the progress.db to indicate that it is a completed scan result.  No other database table seems to account for the completed scan jobs other than the folders in the file system.

Thoughts?

(Tech support call is not an option for me.)

-James Moses